|Prosthetics and Orthotics
Prosthetic (artificial limb) rehabilitation, pre-operative assessments, immediate post-operative prosthetic intervention (Removable Rigid Dressing, RRD), outpatient rehabilitation, definitive prosthetic program, inpatient orthotic services for aged care, neurotherapy and rehabilitation, education and research.
Services are available to:
- Rehabilitation inpatients
- Community Therapy Service (CTS)
- Artificial Limb Program (ALP)
- Aged care inpatients
- Surgical wards
RMH Royal Park Campus prosthetic service can offer a pre-operative consultation and peer support services, as well as post-operative intervention for oedema control (Removable Rigid Dressing).
Prosthetic/Orthotic Service offers a complete upper and lower limb service for rehabilitation inpatients. The prosthetists work closely with other therapists to educate patients about using their rehabilitation prosthesis.
Following discharge from inpatient rehabilitation, patients continue to be educated about using their prosthesis as an outpatient. Outpatient therapies are arranged through Community Therapy Service.
An amputee clinic is held on Thursday mornings. This clinic provides reviews and assessments for current outpatients, community based patients and new referrals.
To make an appointment for the amputee clinic, contact reception on 8387 2281.
The Prosthetic/Orthotic Service offers orthotic management for RMH Royal Park Campus rehabilitation ward, aged care and neurotherapy inpatients. Orthotic devices such as Ankle Foot Orthoses (AFOs) and Foot Orthoses (FOs) are among many devices the service custom designs.
Australian Orthotic Prosthetic Association
National Centre Prosthetics Orthotics
Prosthetic and Orthotic Services
The Royal Melbourne Hospital - Royal Park Campus
Poplar Rd, Parkville 3052
Telephone - 8387 2271 or 8387 2687
Facsimile - 8387 2241
Manager Prosthetics & Orthotics
Royal Melbourne Hospital - Royal Park Campus
Phone: +61 8387 2271
Facsimile: +61 8387 2241
- Amelia Wishart and Emily Duke are involved in the International society for Prosthetics and Orthotics (ISPO) outreach committe
- Emily Duke is part of the ISPO scientific and education committe.
- Emily Duke and Alana Stonehouse are involved in the RMH Preventing Alcohol Related Trauma in Youth program (PARTY)
- We have commenced the Prosthetic clinical schools program through Latrobe University and have been given a grant to develop a P&O student lab and clinical space in Park House.
- We also run the Lower Limb Prosthetics and Amputee Rehabilitation Course in late February on even years. For information on the course please call or email to find out more information.
Back to RMH Allied Health Homepage